Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Ephipany...okay maybe not that big but I was shocked.

I have had an epiphany, actually I was reading "Sugar Blues," by William Duffy.  All my symptoms from Monday and part of Tuesday match his exact experience and time line for when he removed sugar from his diet.  Turns out my migraine was likely sugar withdrawal, Duffy likened it to that of cocaine detox.  Well that explains a lot and is quite scary.  Some thing we ingest, in the majority of our food in North America, compared to cocaine. 

Let's face it I knew that sugar was not good, that it was fattening and could cause diabetes when consumed in high amounts but never could I imagine the life altering effects consuming it has on the human body.  I knew we weren't to have a lot but never would I think that we shouldn't eat it at all.  At least they warn us about the serious effects of coffee and there are some benefits to drinking coffee, more then getting through the morning at work.  However no one ever told me that sugar isn't even a natural substance, that it can alter my hormones, sleep, eating patterns, fat consumption, mood and energy levels and much more.  There are warning labels on cigarettes why not on products that contain sugar.

The scary part is that sugar is in almost everything, salad dressing, salsa, chips, ketchup, and yogurt just to name a few.  It wasn't too long ago that the media was on with grave concerns about the amount of salt in our foods and it's effects.  I'm just as worried about sugar, where's it's expose?

No comments:

Post a Comment