Saturday, September 25, 2010

It Begins







I recently learned that all my aliments: chronic bladder infections, yeast infections, asthma, allergies, hives, fungus under the toes, fatigue, depression and of course my extra weight are a result of my diet. Something as simple as diet can cause serious issues yet it was something I had spent my life being oblivious to. Of course I had known it was necessary to eat healthy but never imagined the extent of damage my diet was causing.

Luckily one day I had CP24's Wylde on Health on T.V., it was playing in the back ground as I got ready to go out. The fine doctor was interviewing Dr. Natasha Turner, author of "The Hormone Diet." I was quickly intrigued by this woman's story and how she had struggled with weight and poor health until she discovered her hormones were not level. All she did to correct the issue was change her diet. WOW!

I picked up, "The Hormone Diet," at my local book store and was quickly intrigued by what I read. Soon I discovered that all of my food and stress hormones are out of whack. I lack serotonin, dopamine and GABA (I had never heard of GABA) among other hormones. Not to mention I was also suffering from inflammation. Turns out that my poor diet was a direct effect of my hormone imbalances. I binge on sugar because I lack serotonin, crave carbs because I lack dopamine, and the list goes on and on.

Before I was finished reading the book I got a terrible yeast infection that the medication prescribed by my doctor was not helping. I was at my wits end and went to the health food store to find natural ways to treat the issue. Not knowing really where to start I sought the help of the woman who worked at the store. As soon as I explained my issue she nodded knowingly and asked me: do you eat a lot of sugar? Do you have fungus around your toes? How often do you get yeast infections a year? Do you feel tired? My answers were; yes, I binge on sugar. Yes I have fungus under my two big toes. I feel tired all the time, in fact I feel terribly and run down. Her response, "I suggest you cut sugar from your diet. You have to cut sugar or you will never get rid of the yeast from your body." Huh? Cut sugar??? How would that be possible? Of course it made perfect sense and so began my new adventure.

First I will start with a detox where I will remove, sugar, yeast/wheat, caffeine, and red meat from my diet. Each item will be slowly reintroduced to discover which foods are causing issues in my body so that I know which foods I will need to remove from my diet intirely. However I already know sugar will be on that list. It will also be the hardest one for me to remove. I decided to start this blog for a couple reasons, to inspire others and to track my progress. It is sure to be a challenge that will present frustration, cravings, cranky moods and slips, this blog will follow them all and hopefully my success. The adventure begins now. At the top are some before pictures, I can't wait to see the after pictures as the book promised weight loss and even loss of cellulite.

























2 comments:

  1. Hi Laura,
    I visited a dietician some time ago. She advised me to cut out sugar. You will fine that once you get started it will be easy. After a week or 2 you will no longer crave it!! A piece of fruit will begin to feel like too much sugar!! I also eat only rye bread as most commercial whole wheats contain sugar.Why????Though my weight is far from ideal I feel better and hopefully the weight will come off eventually.Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. im a sugar addict.. i need help!!! and i do know that when i cut back on sugar i am a bear.. so i guess cutting it all the way will make me a total bitch..lol.. hmmm will my marriage handle this? how do i start the process? please email me and tell me more. thanks so much and good luck to you.
    jennie
    k9walkabouts@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete